Posts on December 19, 2008
A week of happy recap, and ismydatasignificant.com
Posted on 2008-12-19 10:50:00
Tags: health math projects happiness
So I started the week of happy a week or so ago, and I'm pretty...happy with the results. It turned out to be kind of a tough week, what with the root canal and the painful aftermath, but focusing on the little things that make you happy during the day is good. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that big changes in lifestyle (new bigger house, etc.) don't generally affect one's happiness level in the long run, but little things can if you focus on them. Or something like that.
Dentistry - I gave in and called this morning to make sure it was normal for the pain to last all week. The person I talked to told me to come in, and they took an X-ray and thank goodness everything looks fine. (if I had had to have like another root canal or something I would have been seriously sad) She said the pain can last a while, and as long as it's getting better (it is!) it's OK, and she gave me another prescription for Zipac(sp?) to take in case there's a lingering infection or something. (and she told me to switch to Advil instead of Tylenol for the inflammation) So, yayish!
Last night when I got home quijax was watching Mythbusters, which I don't get to see much but I like! One of the myths they were busting was that buttered toast tends to land buttered side down, and long story short they ended up dropping toast off of a building and observing. Anyway, the results were slightly more in favor of the toast landing buttered side up, and Jamie had a physics explanation (when you butter toast it gets indented) but their numbers weren't convincing. Long story short, I created ismydatasignificant.com for an easy chi-squared test for significance. If only I understood more statistics...
big pile o' links
Posted on 2008-12-19 14:18:00
Tags: politics links
- Brett Favre beats Lizard People - the Minnesota recount goes on, and things get weird.
- The Strange and Bizarre Story of Wallace Scarborough’s Fight Against Democracy - hopefully the South Carolina House of Representatives does the right thing here, as it looks like the guy just lost.
- Scientists debunk the myth that you lose most heat through your head - my mom was wrong!
- Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits - umm, a few years too late?
- In 2006, a Embraer Legacy 700 hit a Boeing 737 over Brazil. Vanity Fair just printed an article about the crash and how it happened. There was a writer on board the Embraer - here's his story in the NY Times about a week after the crash.
- Austin is the fifth safest city of cities of reasonable size! (500,000+ people) Houston is the 10th most dangerous of those.
- Austin 3G speed test - AT&T wins overall, although it's terrible downtown.
- Typo In Proposition 8 Defines Marriage As Between 'One Man And One Wolfman' - ah, the Onion...
- Air Traffic in 24 hours - seen it before but always interesting to see the pattern of flights as the sun comes up and goes down.
- A three-time wrestler explains why "The Wrestler" is good - interested in seeing this movie although I'm not sure why.
This backup was done by LJBackup.