big pile o' links
Posted on 2008-12-19 14:18:00
Tags: politics links
- Brett Favre beats Lizard People - the Minnesota recount goes on, and things get weird.
- The Strange and Bizarre Story of Wallace Scarborough’s Fight Against Democracy - hopefully the South Carolina House of Representatives does the right thing here, as it looks like the guy just lost.
- Scientists debunk the myth that you lose most heat through your head - my mom was wrong!
- Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits - umm, a few years too late?
- In 2006, a Embraer Legacy 700 hit a Boeing 737 over Brazil. Vanity Fair just printed an article about the crash and how it happened. There was a writer on board the Embraer - here's his story in the NY Times about a week after the crash.
- Austin is the fifth safest city of cities of reasonable size! (500,000+ people) Houston is the 10th most dangerous of those.
- Austin 3G speed test - AT&T wins overall, although it's terrible downtown.
- Typo In Proposition 8 Defines Marriage As Between 'One Man And One Wolfman' - ah, the Onion...
- Air Traffic in 24 hours - seen it before but always interesting to see the pattern of flights as the sun comes up and goes down.
- A three-time wrestler explains why "The Wrestler" is good - interested in seeing this movie although I'm not sure why.
Comment from brittongregory:
Your South Carolina story is, sadly, par for the course. I love my state, its heritage, and its culture, but I must admit that it's a bastion of "good ol' boy" politics. Remember Strom Thurmond?
Comment from liz_gregory:
My favorite part:
"Examining common medical myths reminds us to be aware of when evidence supports our advice, and when we operate based on unexamined beliefs," they write.
well, DUH! This is what I try to get people to understand all the time. If there is no peer-reviewed scientific data to back you up, it should be taken with a large grain of salt, not purported as the absolute truth. This is why alarmists drive me batty.
Comment from gregstoll:
Hooray for science!
This backup was done by LJBackup.