Posts on August 1, 2012
links: Obamacare description, Romney's tax plan, NYT trial, a capella BSG cover!
Posted on 2012-08-01 14:43:00
Tags: politics links
- Here's a concise description of what Obamacare does, complete with citations. (from a subreddit called Explain Like I'm Five) Very thorough from what I've seen!
- A new analysis from outside groups shows that Romney's tax plan will raise taxes on anyone making $200K or less, and lower them for anyone making more than that. So...yeah. I don't mind higher taxes to reduce the deficit, or investing in infrastructure/education/etc., but raising my taxes so millionaires can get a tax cut...not so much.
- Speaking of Romney and taxes, here's a striking graph comparing the past 5 presidents + Romney's yearly income and effective tax rate.
- The New York Times Is Now Supported by Readers, Not Advertisers - glad to see their online strategy is working, even if they did still suffer a pretty big loss. Related: anyone want to try an online subscription for 99 cents for 4 weeks? Drop me a line and I'll send it your way!
- This a capella cover of BSG's All Along the Watchtower is awesome. (thanks, Jessica!)
- A story about the LGBT student group at Rice back in the 70's. Spoiler alert: Annise Parker makes an appearance!
- idreambooks.com is kinda like Metacritic, but for books.
a sensitive kid
Posted on 2012-08-01 17:03:00
When I was in kindergarten, every kid had their name on the wall with a hook and a happy face hanging from it. If you misbehaved, your happy face got downgraded to a "neutral face", and if you did it again, a sad face.
I was a good kid, so my face was always happy. One day, the class was acting up in general (the details are lost to time) and so the teacher gave us all neutral faces. I hadn't done anything wrong, and was very upset by this.
It occurred to me today that while I've learned to be less sensitive (usually by distancing myself when necessary), at heart it still bothers me when this happens.
This backup was done by LJBackup.