link friday: same-sex marriage, Wii U!, scandals
Posted on 2012-11-16 14:07:00
Tags: gay referrer politics links
Things have been busy so it's been over a month since I've posted a batch of links...but the wait is over!
- Same-sex marriage section: after the historic victories last week (wow, that was only last week! How time flies...), my marriage map was linked from Sociological Images, which is a pretty awesome name for a blog. (and no, the map isn't wrong, Maryland doesn't allow marriage until January. But that's OK!) Dan Savage reminds us that we couldn't have done it without lots and lots of straight allies: thanks straight allies! And the New York Times points out that Obama won LGBT voters by a lot, while there was roughly a tie for straight voters.
- Wow: Dick Morris (who predicted a Romney landslide) is now saying "I Felt It Was My Duty" To "Say What I Said". Regardless of who you wanted to win, that is a terrible terrible thing to hear from a pundit who makes predictions. (perhaps it's not unrelated that Dick Morris is notoriously almost always wrong when predicting things)
- I just found out an old high school friend of mine started CheckedTwice, a place to put up gift lists and such. Perfect for the holidays! It got a nice writeup in a local paper.
- For some reason, a bunch of Princess Bride references in an NFL pregame show.
- Someone wrote a Chrome extension that automatically fact checks crazy chain letters - pretty cool!
- Speaking of Chrome, the new 100,000 Stars is a very cool visualization of our stellar neighborhood. Man, browsing through this makes me want to play Master of Orion again...
- After playing Nintendo Land for the Wii U, David and I have been convinced to get a Wii U. Lots of fun!
- With regards to the Petraeus scandal, David Simon has two (NSFW-language) posts: part 1 and part 2. Short version: this shouldn't be a scandal.
- Speaking of scandals, I still don't really understand what the Benghazi "scandal" is supposed to be about. (obviously it was a tragedy, and we need better security, but I've never understood why people are trying to make political hay out of it) And apparently I'm not the only one!
- Roman Catholic Church in Minnesota Refuses to Confirm Pro-Equality Teen - worse than that, they're refusing his whole family communion. Ick ick ick.
- Sixth man infraction spotted 19 years after Rockets/Sonics game - pretty incredible that no one caught this, even though it didn't make a difference in the play. Once you know what to look for it's pretty blatant :-)
- From the Onion: Nation Suddenly Realizes This Just Going To Be A Thing That Happens From Now On (re Hurricane Sandy)
- Pentatonix has a new Christmas album coming out - here's their version of Carol of the Bells.
Comment from quijax:
Those Pentatonix boys are delicious.
Comment from gregstoll:
Aren't they?! :-)
Comment from flamingophoenix:
Comment from flamingophoenix:
Dang, if only I hadn't been a raging bigot in high school, I would have had an easy way to get out of Confirmation! ;-) (Long story there.)
This backup was done by LJBackup.