Posts on February 13, 2012
monday morning links: wall street, cat parasites
Posted on 2012-02-13 10:14:00
Because I meant to post these on Friday but ran out of time...
- The governor of Washington state is going to sign the marriage equality bill today! Woohoo!
- Loooong article on how Wall Street bankers are no longer "masters of the universe" because of, among other things, the Dodd-Frank legislation. Bonuses are way down, etc. This seems like a good thing, not least of which is the quote:
“If you’re a smart Ph.D. from MIT, you’d never go to Wall Street now,” says a hedge-fund executive. “You’d go to Silicon Valley. There’s at least a prospect for a huge gain. You’d have the potential to be the next Mark Zuckerberg. It looks like he has a lot more fun.”Fun aside, I think Silicon Valley creates a lot more value for the economy than bankers do.
FlightPredictor for #WP7 - it's getting close!
Posted on 2012-02-13 22:06:00
Tags: windowsphone projects
I've made a bunch of progress since I last posted about FlightPredictor for WP7. Here's the updated list of "stuff to do before release":
make it tombstone-safe (i.e. save state when backgrounded) done!
show airport delays done!
show airport maps done!
will have to download these after app install - figure out how versioning will work! downloading's done, need to implement versioning (but I know how it's gonna work)
about screen (attribution) mostly done, need to add more help
settings screen (necessary?) yes, and done
flight info - add when it was last updated, make sure nothing else is missing - done
make live tile have an image with status/prediction for its background instead of text - done! and they look good!
- TODOs in code (down to 20 or so) down to ~8
show airline contact info done
make reloading flights on main page consistent meh, good enough
send all flights (email/SMS) done
- make real icons for app nope
- decide what to do about trial version and do it nope, although I have an idea of what to do
mutex in background agent for communicating? done
- upload maps to Amazon S3
- prompt when update on Marketplace?
- make "Tap for more info" have accent color
I'm excited that the app is really coming together! Looking forward to starting some beta testing soon - handily, the Windows Phone Marketplace supports it nicely.
This backup was done by LJBackup.