Posts on October 9, 2009
developing for the Palm Pre
Posted on 2009-10-09 10:18:00
Tags: palmpre programming
This week Palm announced how you'll be able to publish apps for the Pre, Pixi, etc. There seem to be three options that I'd consider:
- Join the Palm Developer Program (PDP) for $99/year and pay $50/app to get it in the App Catalog on the phone (paid or free)
- Join PDP for $99/year and distribute it on the web (paid or free)
- Release it open source and distribute it on the web (no need to join PDP in this case)
Basically, if I wanted to sell apps, I'd have to choose options 1 or 2, which are a bit more expensive than I'd like for a hobbyist project. I've been working on a LiveJournal client under the assumption that I'd be selling it for $2.99 or so - I haven't seen any other clients and I put a fair bit of work into parsing posts and comments, etc.
But I think I'll probably just release it on the web open source and put up a Donate button or something. Costs me nothing and it will let more people use it.
A few late Friday links
Posted on 2009-10-09 15:45:00
Tags: politics links
Weekend here yet? No? OK:
- Play this game of driving while texting! I am 0.78 seconds slower while texting and missed 10% more gates, considerably worse than the average.
- Carl Sagan, autotuned
- New survey shows rising support for civil unions - 57% of Americans support civil unions, 39% support same-sex marriage. We're getting there! Surprisingly, 49% said "homosexual behavior" was "morally wrong", so I give credit to the at least 8% that said that but also support civil unions.
- Paul Krugman answers readers' questions - interesting stuff.
- Some people said some nice things about National Instruments.
- Anyone else on Google Wave? Haven't quite figured it out, but let me know and we can be wave buddies or something!
This backup was done by LJBackup.