Posts on March 9, 2007
Look what we can do!
Posted on 2007-03-09 09:07:00
Tags: pictures worldofwarcraft programming
Last night, I accomplished the following things:
- grocery shopping
- mole check
- wrote a script to download data from the World of Warcraft Armory, and set it up to download every guild member's stats nightly. At some point I'll do something neat with the data. (to do this I used the new Python XML library elementtree, which is better than the builtin stuff, but not nearly as nice as e4x) I had to solve a bit of a mystery - when I would fetch the URL http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Maiev&n=Tsouzer in Firefox and the HTML page would show up, but I could view source and see the raw XML data that I wanted. When I fetched it with wget or curl, I would always get the HTML page, not the XML data. The key is to fake out the user-agent: I guess if it thinks you support the fancy XML processing it does (with XSLT, I think?) it will give you the data, otherwise it gives you standard HTML any browser can handle. Neat idea, I guess.
- fixed my automatic del.icio.us bookmark backup script (the API had changed a little).
- seemingly fixed the problems with sending email from my computer, although it still complains that it can't write to the log file.
- put up a (very) few pictures.
- updated my backup script to back up some more databases
A lot of this stuff had been hanging over my head for a while, so I feel great today!
I like charts
Posted on 2007-03-09 14:40:00
The top 100 Wikipedia pages viewed in March. Heroes is more popular than many sex-related terms!
The top programming languages by number of posts to their comp.lang.* newsgroup. LabVIEW is #10! (via waxy)
This backup was done by LJBackup.