Wii Forecast channel
Posted on 2006-12-21 10:34:00
Tags: worldofwarcraft wii
When I woke up Tuesday the Wii disc slot was glowing blue, so I turned it on and there was a message from Nintendo that they had released the Forecast Channel. I did the system update and played with it quickly before work. Now that I've had more time with it it's actually pretty darn neat (relevant Penny Arcade strip). Yeah, it's just the weather, but here's why it's super cool:
- The background music is very calming. Plus, when you show a forecast of "rain" there's a faint rain noise that plays :-)
- It has the forecast for your area, but you can show a very nicely drawn globe (pictures here) with the current weather (or today's high/low, etc.), and you can spin the globe around by grabbing it and it's fun.
- Apparently Madden '07 uses the data from that to find the weather conditions when you play a game. Neat!
But really, the top two cool things are:
- If you zoom out enough you see stars in the background. And their positions and intensities are accurate! We spotted a few constellations last night...
- Obviously when you zoom out fewer and fewer cities are shown. I discovered this by accident, but when you start at Texas and zoom out eventually you get to a point where Houston is shown and not Dallas!!!! Hahahahaha!!! Take that, Dallas!!
Here's a festive screenshot I took in WoW - notice the reindeer mount and Santa-like hat :-)
Comment from omega697:
Also, if you have a forecast of thunderstorms, it will have thunder. :o)
Comment from gregstoll:
Ooh, neat! I'll have to find that weather somewhere :-)
Comment from krikwennavd:
Mmmm...Penny Arcade. I liked that one. :)
This backup was done by LJBackup.