links: tipping, basic income, biases, the Harlem Globetrotters
Posted on 2014-08-05 20:15:00
- Why You Should Tip More Than You Do Now - a good reminder.
- Companies with Benefits - the idea of a for-profit company that also pledges to achieve social goals is pretty neat.
- The Pragmatic Libertarian Case for a Basic Income Guarantee - I don't agree with everything in here, but I am glad to see the idea of a basic income starting to be discussed in the US. Will it ever happen? Probably not, but a man can dream...
- Inside the Mirrortocracy - this is a pretty damning post. It's easy enough to be unconsciously biased against people who aren't "like you" in some way - baking that into the culture only makes it worse. Actively thinking about your biases is a good step towards defeating them!
- Love People, Not Pleasure - so I read this editorial and thought "OK, this isn't too surprising", and then I got to the bottom and the author is the president of the American Enterprise Institute and I was like whaaa? But, good for him! (and in retrospect I'm a bit less surprised - the issue isn't really a liberal versus conservative thing)
- A Statistical Appreciation of the Washington Generals And Harlem Globetrotters - hee hee!
- The ‘World Cup Is Over, Now What?’ Guide to Soccer - obviously a bit late on my part, but still a good guide.
- How Fan Loyalty Changed During the World Cup - pretty nice visualization.
- CIA covert operation helped America win the race to the Moon - pretty interesting story!
- Brazil’s Secret History of Southern Hospitality - wow, this reads like something out of a novel! (thanks Adam!)
- The Cornish beaches where Lego keeps washing up - it's part cute, part environmental disaster!
This backup was done by LJBackup.