link friday: sign language translator, hyperloop, why mobile web apps are slow
Posted on 2013-07-19 15:40:00
- Microsoft Research worked on a project that can translate sign language with a Kinect! Although she does seem to be signing rather slowly, this is pretty impressive. Between this and using Bing Translator to point your phone at something and have it translate it, it's starting to feel like the future! (that last feature isn't unique to Bing Translator, but it is cool)
- Elon Musk (the Tesla and SpaceX guy) has been teasing a "Hyperloop" that will get you between LA and San Francisco in 30 minutes. (they're 300 miles apart, for we Texas folk :-) ) He also teased that it could be solar-powered, and here's a good article at how it might work. As it says, these are pretty bold claims, but Musk's reputation is very good, so we'll just have to wait until August to see how realistic this is...
- Neat look at how much you get for 200 calories of various foods - that peanut butter looks so sad! (thanks Barbara!)
- Edit Wars Reveal The 10 Most Controversial Topics on Wikipedia - many of these are not surprising, but "List of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. employees" - whaaa?
- Jack Handey Is the Envy of Every Comedy Writer in America - I loved Deep Thoughts!
- Health Insurance Within Reach - an overview of the health exchanges that are scheduled to go live on October 1st.
This backup was done by LJBackup.