a few links: FIFA, racism, and homophobia; same-sex marriage and wedded bliss; James Comey
Posted on 2013-05-31 14:08:00
Tags: gay links
- FIFA announced tougher penalties for racism today. A few thoughts:
* It blows my mind a little that racism is still a problem in soccer. Maybe I have my blinders on but I don't think it's really a problem in US sports, right?
* The proposal sounds reasonable, although punishing a team based on what its fans do seems like inviting false flag operations.
* Racism is bad, but FIFA seems perfectly content to hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where "homosexual activity" is illegal. Apparently Sepp Blatter (FIFA president) was asked about this and his response was less than encouraging. And yes, I'm still mad that Qatar got the 2022 World Cup over the US, and I suspect foul play...
- The Gay Guide to Wedded Bliss - you're welcome!
- Obama nominated James Comey to be FBI director. I vaguely remembered that name from the Bush presidency - turns out he was Deputy Attorney General under John Ashcroft and told this amazing story to Congress. (here's a text summary)
- Apparently in World War II German soldiers were issued a precursor of crystal meth to keep them alert...and this continued until 1988 in East Germany!
This backup was done by LJBackup.