pre-Friday links (or; first links of 2012!)
Posted on 2012-01-05 10:42:00
Tags: gay links
- Rumor is Nokia will be announcing the Lumia 900 at CES next week - if they do, I'll almost certainly pick one up...even if I have to switch to AT&T. (grumble grumble)
- Speaking of Nokia, here's Nokia Maps 3D (using WebGL!) May not work with every browser - worked for my Firefox at home but not at work, but Chrome seems to handle it. Unfortunately there's only city-level data for a few major cities, but it's pretty awesome to pan around London...
- How Doctors Die - pretty sure I linked to a similar article some time ago. Anyway, it's hard to know when to "give up hope", and I hope if I'm in that situation I can get good advice from my doctor.
- The Battle Over Gay Marriage Set To Go Nationwide - looks like 2012 will be a big year. Go Washington, Maryland, and Maine! (and boo North Carolina, Minnesota, and New Hampshire)
- Welcome to the Age of Overparenting - thoughtful article about backing off and giving kids more independence. (thanks David!)
- The United States Government Debates Whether the X-Men Are Human Beings... In Real Life
- 2011 Lesson #2 : Don’t Carpe Diem - don't stress about enjoying yourself every single minute! (also, things are more fun in retrospect, which if fine) (thanks Liz!)
- Why do we pay sales commissions? - good article from Fog Creek.
Comment from spamchang:
You might be interested in this NYT link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/02/technology/hewlett-packards-touchpad-was-built-on-flawed-software-some-say.html
It talks about how WebOS was at a disadvantage from the start.
Comment from gregstoll:
Ah, yeah, I saw a few links to that :-)
Sadly, I think it's mostly right - making most apps be essentially web pages was a great idea, but it's always going to suffer in performance compared to native apps.
This backup was done by LJBackup.